Anti-Human Trafficking Initiative
In 2017, the JLB created an anti-human trafficking initiative within the Safety & Crisis impact area to increase awareness in the Birmingham community through training, a public awareness campaign, and community events with other partners. Through this initiative we have reached thousands across the State to bring a greater understanding of this public crisis and to empower communities and organizations to action.
As the 2021 recipient of the AJLI Award for Public Policy & Advocacy, the JLB was honored to see our award-winning work showcased at the Association of Junior Leagues International’s recent Centennial Summit. Our League was recognized for its work in the Birmingham community through the Anti-Human Trafficking initiative.
Anti-Human Trafficking Initiative Accomplishments:
- 34 area mayors have signed awareness proclamations which led to seven area municipalities declaring themselves as TraffickingFree Zones in 2020
- Birmingham International Airport signage installation into every bathroom stall across the airport
- Multiple awareness events and trainings reaching over 1200 people
- Support of 2019’s legislative efforts including HB 261 that now requires all commercial drivers to take a human trafficking awareness class in order to obtain a license.
How You Can Help End Human Trafficking:
- Book us to speak at your civic group’s event: Speaker Request
- Allow us to hang signage in your public restroom: Signage Request
- Have another idea? Let us know!