General Criteria We Consider
The Beeson Community Fund seeks to fund projects addressing the health, safety, education, financial stability and well being of women and children in the Birmingham area and those promoting arts & culture, research, volunteerism, advocacy and the training of women.
The Beeson Community Fund is charged with making grants to nonprofit organizations, programs and projects to further the stated mission, beliefs and objectives of the Junior League of Birmingham. Grant making encompasses open and invitational grants. The minimum grant request shall be $25,000.
The Beeson Community Fund seeks to maximize its impact by funding organizations and programs that can effectively and efficiently address needs that fit our areas of interest. We encourage the use of the Beeson funds to leverage monies from other sources to have a greater impact on the population served. Preference is given to requests that:
- Benefit women and/or children in the Birmingham area
- Address a critical community need or opportunity
- Emphasize areas of community concern based on data received from relevant needs assessments like Kids Count Data, Alabama Maternal and Child Health Needs Assessment or the United Way Needs Assessment.
- Build partnerships to address issues and promote systemic change within the community
- Build capacity as opposed to continuing operational expenses.
Limitations and Restrictions
The Beeson Community Fund considers grant applications only from nonprofit organizations that have tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service Code.
No grants are made to or for:
- National fundraising drives
- Deficit funding
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Tickets for benefits
- Political organizations or candidates for public office
- Lobbying activities as prohibited under Section 501(c)(3)
Directions for submitting grant application and supporting materials:
Please complete the attached Beeson Community Fund grant application. All applications should be sent to the attention of:
Beeson Community Fund Chair
Junior League of Birmingham
2212 Twentieth Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35223
Applications are due on or before Friday, September 1, 2017 at 4 p.m. You will receive an email confirming receipt of your grant application and request for any additional information by Wednesday, September 13, 2017. The Committee will review applications and notifications will be made by January 31, 2018.
All materials should be printed on 8 ½” x 11” paper, three-holed punched and clipped together. Please do not staple or bind. Please include the following:
- Fifteen (15) copies of completed application
- One copy of 501(c)(3) status letter from the IRS
- One copy of agency’s current annual total operating budget