General Criteria We Consider
The JLB Beeson Community Fund seeks to fund projects addressing the health, safety, education, financial stability and well being of women and children in the Birmingham area and those promoting arts & culture, research, volunteerism, advocacy and the training of women.
The JLB Beeson Community Fund is charged with making grants to nonprofit organizations, programs and projects to further the stated mission, beliefs and objectives of the Junior League of Birmingham (JLB). Grant making encompasses open and invitational grants. The minimum grant request shall be $25,000.
The JLB Beeson Community Fund seeks to maximize its impact by funding organizations and programs that can effectively and efficiently address needs that fit our areas of interest. We encourage the use of the Beeson funds to leverage monies from other sources to have a greater impact on the population served. Preference is given to requests that:
- Benefit women and/or children in the Birmingham area
- Address a critical community need or opportunity
- Emphasize areas of community concern based on data received from relevant needs assessments like Kids Count Data, Alabama Maternal and Child Health Needs Assessment or the United Way Needs Assessment.
- Build partnerships to address issues and promote systemic change within the community
- Build capacity as opposed to continuing operational expenses.
Limitations and Restrictions
The JLB Beeson Community Fund considers grant applications only from nonprofit organizations that have tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service Code.
No grants are made to or for:
- National fundraising drives
- Deficit funding
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Tickets for benefits
- Political organizations or candidates for public office
- Lobbying activities as prohibited under Section 501(c)(3)
The process for submitting JLB Beeson Community Fund grant requests for the 2019-2020 Grant Cycle has completed.
Thank you to everyone that applied and for your impactful efforts in our community.
More information about the 2020-2021 JLB Beeson Community Fund grant cycle will be announced at a later date.
Any questions can be addressed to Elizabeth Burgess, 2019-2020 JLB Beeson Community Fund Chair, at: email@example.com.