General Criteria We Consider
The JLB Beeson Community Fund seeks to fund projects addressing the health, safety, education, financial stability and well being of women and children in the Birmingham area and those promoting arts & culture, research, volunteerism, advocacy and the training of women.
The JLB Beeson Community Fund is charged with making grants to nonprofit organizations, programs and projects to further the stated mission, beliefs and objectives of the Junior League of Birmingham (JLB). Grant making encompasses open and invitational grants. The minimum grant request shall be $25,000.
The JLB Beeson Community Fund seeks to maximize its impact by funding organizations and programs that can effectively and efficiently address needs that fit our areas of interest. We encourage the use of the Beeson funds to leverage monies from other sources to have a greater impact on the population served. Preference is given to requests that:
- Benefit women and/or children in the Birmingham area
- Address a critical community need or opportunity
- Emphasize areas of community concern based on data received from relevant needs assessments like Kids Count Data, Alabama Maternal and Child Health Needs Assessment or the United Way Needs Assessment.
- Build partnerships to address issues and promote systemic change within the community
- Build capacity as opposed to continuing operational expenses.
Limitations and Restrictions
The JLB Beeson Community Fund considers grant applications only from nonprofit organizations that have tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service Code.
No grants are made to or for:
- National fundraising drives
- Deficit funding
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Tickets for benefits
- Political organizations or candidates for public office
- Lobbying activities as prohibited under Section 501(c)(3)
Process for submitting JLB Beeson Community Fund grant requests for the 2019-2020 Grant Cycle:
Thank you for your interest in the JLB Beeson Community Fund. The Round 1 deadline passed at 11:59 p.m. on Friday, August 16 and applications are no longer being accepted.
- Wednesday, July 17, 2019: Information Session – Held at the Junior League of Birmingham (2212 20th Avenue South, 35223).
- Friday, August 16, 2019 (11:59 p.m.): Round 1 deadline. Electronic submission of the application (1 page PDF) to email@example.com.
- Week of September 16: Notification to those invited to submit full application. Detailed instructions for submission will be provided.
- Wednesday, October 16, 2019 (5 p.m.): Full application deadline. Full applications will only be reviewed for those asked to submit one.
Any questions can be addressed to Elizabeth Burgess, 2019-2020 JLB Beeson Community Fund Chair, at: firstname.lastname@example.org.