The Junior League of Birmingham believes that all individuals deserve a quality education and the opportunity to acquire the knowledge and skills needed to achieve their potential and be fully developed, productive individuals. We believe success in school depends upon emotional, physical, social, and intellectual readiness to learn. The Junior League of Birmingham, therefore, is committed to developing, implementing, and supporting initiatives that address and accomplish the following:
School Readiness – Improve the educational readiness and the first learning experiences of young children (ages 0-5 yrs).
- Birmingham Public Library - Family Place Library
- McWane Science Center - Early Education Summer Science Studio
St. Luke's - Preschool Partners
Women and Children’s Literacy – Promote and improve literacy among women and children.
- Better Basics - Birmingham Reads
- JLB / United Way of Central Alabama - Imagination Library
- Cornerstone School - Literacy for Life
Success in School – Prepare elementary students to succeed in later grades and, subsequently, graduate from high school.
- Birmingham Botanical Gardens - Can You Dig It?
- Birmingham Children's Theatre - From Page to Stage - Readers' Theatre
- Cornerstone School - Hands on Science
- Girls, Inc. - Mother-Daughter Connection
- Girls, Inc. - Teen Leadership
- Vulcan Park & Museum - Learning Adventures Field Trip
- Youth Leadership Forum - YLF Logistics Committee
- YMCA of Central Alabama - Start the Adventure in Reading - Woodlawn
The Junior League of Birmingham has dedicated 161 volunteers and $126,425 to these projects.